Trains and railway crossings!
Japan is home to some of the most advanced trains in the world!
Below are five cool fun facts about trains in Japan.
- Japan is known for the Shinkansen (bullet train) that can travel at speeds of 300km/hr, or 200 mph!
2. Shinjuku Station is the world’s busiest train station! It sees 3.6 million passengers daily!
3. To help women avoid “chikan” (perverts) during peek hour where the trains are ridiculously over crowded… ‘women only’ carriages have been introduced.
4. Did you know there is such a thing as densha otaku (train nerd)?
The Japanese term otaku does not always mean someone obsessed with anime.
Apparently there are 36 types of densha otaku! For example, otaku who love walking around stations … or otaku that just can’t get enough of the lunchboxes sold on the train!
5. The train station with the longest name is “Minami Aso Mizu no Umareru Sato Hakusui Kougen Station”. This station is close to Mt. Aso in Kumamoto.
So what does a Japanese railway crossing sound like? Check out the below video by YouTube channel Dotaku.
This iconic train sound is even heard in Avril Lavigne’s pop song Hello Kitty.
Listen out for the railway crossing signal! Video below. Enjoy!
Can you recall an anime or movie with railway crossing/train sounds?
Thanks for reading and watching 🙂